Who doesn’t Need a Work Permit to live in UK?

There are many types of work visas, depending on how long you plan to stay in the UK or the type of work you will do. You can find out your UK work permit eligibility and which visa applies to you and if you need a work permit by following the steps

Anyone who falls into one of the following categories does not require one:

  • Citizens of the 25 EEA countries.
  • Spouses and partners (not legally married but with two years of co-habitation) of EEA nationals.
  • Permanent Residents*.
  • Spouses of holders of works permits, training permits, sole representatives, investors, students, and ancestry visas*.
  • Asylum seekers with pending applications.
  • Commonwealth citizens with Ancestry visas (with a grandparent born in the UK).
  • Application should take place at the British High Commission in their home country. They last four years, after which the candidate is eligible for permanent residence.

Types of  Work Visas in the UK and Requirements

  • Tier 2 (General) visa is for people who have skilled jobs (earning at least 25,000 GBP or 32,000 USD). Sponsorship by a licensed organization in the field is required and is valid for up to six years.
  • Tier 2 (Intra-company Transfer) visa is for people working for a UK employer who are based overseas and are offered work in the UK. It is valid for six months to nine years.
  • Tier 2 (Minister of Religion) visa is for people who work for a sponsor faith community. It is valid for up to three years and can be extended.
  • Tier 2 (Sportsperson) visa is for elite athletes or coaches endorsed by their sport’s national governing body. It is valid for up to three years and can be extended another three years.
  • Tier 5 (Temporary Worker) visa is for sponsored temporary workers (charity volunteer, athletes, artists, and religious workers), on official exchange or as part of an international agreement. It is valid for 1- 2 years.
  • Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa is for people aged 18-30, from Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New Zealand, Hong Kong, South Korea or Taiwan and who have around 2,000 GBP (2,500 USD) in savings. It is valid for up to two years.
  • Domestic Workers in Private Household visa – for private domestic workers who have worked for their employer for at least a year. It is valid for a maximum of six months.
  • Permitted Paid Engagement visa is for short-term paid work in the UK without sponsorship. It is valid for one month.

Leave a Comment