UK Name Change: Can you Travel with Old Passport?

Can I still use my old passport after name change? If you have recently changed your name, you might be unsure whether you can still travel with your old passport. The answer to this question varies depending on certain factors. In this article, we will explore the regulations regarding traveling with a passport after a name change. Additionally, we will offer some advice on how to streamline the process of updating your name on your UK passport.

Name change

People change their names for various reasons, including marriage, divorce, adoption, or by court order. If you have gone through a name change, it is important to update your passport accordingly. This requires completing a new passport application with the updated information and providing evidence of the name change, such as a marriage certificate or court order. Once your passport has been successfully updated, you can use it for travel without any issues.

Can you travel with old past after name change?

No, officially, you cannot travel with your old passport after a name change. If you have changed your name, gender, or appearance to the extent that you are no longer recognizable from your passport photo, you will need to obtain a new passport. It is essential to update your passport to ensure you can travel abroad and have a valid form of identification that accurately reflects your current information.

How to apply for a new passport after a name change

You have the convenience of applying for a new UK passport after a name change through an online process. MyBritishPassport offers the assistance of experienced British Passport consultants who will guide you through each step. To begin, simply fill out their user-friendly online application form. After submitting the form, you will be directed to a secure payment window where you can conveniently make your payment using a debit or credit card.

Upon submitting your application and payment, you will be assigned a personal British liaison consultant. They will provide guidance specific to your case and inform you about the supporting documents required. Additionally, they will assist you with the necessary information regarding your digital passport photo.

Once all the requirements are fulfilled, MyBritishPassport will arrange secure transportation of your documents to the appropriate government office in the United Kingdom. Once your new passport is processed and ready, it will be delivered straight to your doorstep for your convenience.

Documents required for a UK passport name change

In the case of a marriage resulting in a surname change, the applicant is required to provide the original full long version marriage certificate if their current or most recently issued passport does not match their current name. Alternatively, if the applicant now uses a different name or surname than what is on their current or most recently issued passport, they need to provide an original official name change document from the relevant government department or a deed poll document.